openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michele Sciabarra <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Re: Deploying OpenWhisk in Cloud: do we need Kubernetes?
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2018 12:52:04 GMT
Ok , so you are saying that Kubernetes make it easy to deploy OpenWhisk.
Then we should really provide an helm chart, I think.
Because it is the de-facto packaging for Kubernetes nowadays.

 And contribute it here:

https://github.com/kubernetes/charts

What you think of this idea (I can volunteer to work on that)?

I am still worried of the need of using Kubernetes but no one said so far it could be a good
idea to skip it.

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018, at 5:15 AM, Ben Browning wrote:
> Michele,
>
> I have that dream as well! In fact, I've set up 3 production
> deployments of OpenWhisk just last week across three different public
> cloud providers. I'm deploying another production instance to a
> private cloud later this week. In my case, I'm deploying OpenWhisk on
> top of OpenShift (Kubernetes + some extras). Now, I'll admit that I
> didn't have to install OpenShift on each of these clouds; someone else
> did that for me. But, once OpenShift is there, I deploy OpenWhisk
> identically across all 3. Deployment of a new production cluster takes
> just a couple of minutes. I can use the same OpenShift template
> (extension to regular Kubernetes yaml files - similar in spirit to
> Helm Charts) to spin up a massive HA production cluster or a simple
> temporary development cluster just by tweaking some parameter values
> in a file.
>
> That's the beauty of Kubernetes, OpenShift, and the like. You can
> deploy, manage, and monitor applications identically across any cloud
> provider or even on bare metal servers. I understand if Kubernetes or
> OpenShift aren't your thing, but these are the enablers of the dream
> you described.
>
> Also, as an aside, CouchDB and Kafka clusters work great in
> Kubernetes. I've been running HA clusters of each on OpenShift for a
> while now. If you want more details on that, I'm happy to share since
> it seems you've had some experiences that didn't turn out as well.
>
> We definitely have some work to do in the OpenWhisk project to
> consolidate and document the Kubernetes, OpenShift, and Mesos
> deployment options. All the pieces necessary to deploy everything are
> a bit fragmented and it can be confusing to newcomers just trying to
> get a production deployment going. But, I'm a big believer in using
> some kind of container orchestration as the deployment target of the
> future.
>
> Ben
>

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Michele Sciabarra
> <openwhisk@sciabarra.com> wrote:
> > I have a dream: installing easily OpenWhisk , production grade, everywhere. Most
notably, on AWS, but also on Azure, Digital Ocean and even on bare metal.

> > I am aware of the Kubernetes deployment. Everyone is using that, I was told on Slack.
> >
> > Well, the fact is that in general installing Kubernetes is hard. And it adds a substantial
burden on the system to run.

> > There are installers for Kubernetes on AWS (kops) and more but they add a good level
of complexity to the installation.

> > Furthermore, there are Kafka and Couchdb and afaik they do not play so well with
Kubernetes (I worked months deploying Kafka on Kubernetes so I know). Couchdb looks like to
be on the same league, because of some restrictions on the deployment due to its design based
on Erlang.

> > In short, I have the feeling that a better solution would be to able to deploy OpenWhisk
using just virtual machines. VIrtual Machine are not going away and be replaced by Kubernetes
in the foreseeable future and AWS is still more a "virtual machine" than a container based
Cloud.

> > So I have this idea of creating an installer,  based on docker-machine. I try to
call it "wsk-machine". The idea is that wsk-machine would create a cluster and deploy it easily
a multi node, production ready cluster on everything that docker-machine supports.