openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michele Sciabarra <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Re: Deploying OpenWhisk in Cloud: do we need Kubernetes?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2018 18:41:05 GMT
No, docker machine is the tool to create virtual machines in clouds
ready to run docker. https://docs.docker.com/machine/. You can create a
swarm with docker-machine though. Swarm provides networking for multiple
containers so it could be an option, however the problem is if we need
Kubernetes to run a production grade openwhisk cluster or not.
Yes I want a multi node cluster, with load balancing and auto scaling.
Do we need Kubernetes? My feeling is that even complicate things because
in the context of openwhisk we may not need what Kubernetes provides.
--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, at 8:19 PM, Tyson Norris wrote:
> Maybe you mean “docker swarm” instead of “docker-machine”?
>
> You could, for example, take the docker-compose at
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-devtools/tree/master/docker-compose>
and adjust it for deployment to a docker swarm set of nodes.
> (That docker-compose already works with docker-machine as a standalone> single-host,
multiple container environment - but it sounds like you
> want multi-host?)
>
> You may want to add constraints etc for swarm.
>
> Tyson
>

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 10:17 AM, Michele Sciabarra
> <openwhisk@sciabarra.com<mailto:openwhisk@sciabarra.com>> wrote:
>
> I have a dream: installing easily OpenWhisk , production grade,
> everywhere. Most notably, on AWS, but also on Azure, Digital Ocean and> even on bare
metal.

> I am aware of the Kubernetes deployment. Everyone is using that, I was> told on Slack.
>
> Well, the fact is that in general installing Kubernetes is
> hard. And it> adds a substantial burden on the system to run.
>
> There are installers for Kubernetes on AWS (kops) and more but
> they add> a good level of complexity to the installation.
>
> Furthermore, there are Kafka and Couchdb and afaik they do not play so> well with
Kubernetes (I worked months deploying Kafka on
> Kubernetes so I> know). Couchdb looks like to be on the same league, because of some
> restrictions on the deployment due to its design based on Erlang.
>
> In short, I have the feeling that a better solution would be to able
> to> deploy OpenWhisk using just virtual machines. VIrtual Machine are not> going
away and be replaced by Kubernetes in the foreseeable future and> AWS is still more a "virtual
machine" than a container based Cloud.