openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michele Sciabarra <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Re: Deploying OpenWhisk in Cloud: do we need Kubernetes?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2018 17:42:28 GMT
An all-in-one installer in the style of kops. Based on docker-machine to
create all the required virtual machine then it  deploys all the
components without ansible, written in go for easy distribution,
production grade, Targeting aws and azure  so it will also create load
balncer network and so on. I believe many once you have a serverless
Environnement you may not want also Kubernetes. And openwhisk instead of
lambda will give vendor independence.--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, at 7:24 PM, Rodric Rabbah wrote:
> Hi Michele,
>
> Are you proposing something new in relation to an ansible based
> deployment> and a distributed environment?
>
> -r
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Michele Sciabarra
> <openwhisk@sciabarra.com>> wrote:
>
> > I have a dream: installing easily OpenWhisk , production grade,
> > everywhere. Most notably, on AWS, but also on Azure, Digital Ocean
> > and even> > on bare metal.
> >
> > I am aware of the Kubernetes deployment. Everyone is using
> > that, I was> > told on Slack.
> >
> > Well, the fact is that in general installing Kubernetes is hard.
> > And it> > adds a substantial burden on the system to run.
> >
> > There are installers for Kubernetes on AWS (kops) and more but
> > they add a> > good level of complexity to the installation.
> >
> > Furthermore, there are Kafka and Couchdb and afaik they do not
> > play so> > well with Kubernetes (I worked months deploying Kafka on
> > Kubernetes so I> > know). Couchdb looks like to be on the same league, because
of some> > restrictions on the deployment due to its design based on Erlang.