openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Thoemmes" <markus.thoem...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Deprecation of the "old" loadbalancer
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2018 13:31:31 GMT
Heyho out there,

as mentioned a couple of weeks ago, we implemented a new loadbalancer (see https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/blob/master/core/controller/src/main/scala/whisk/core/loadBalancer/ShardingContainerPoolBalancer.scala).
This loadbalancer has proven pretty stable so far and is used in IBM's deployed version of
OpenWhisk. I hereby propose that we swap the default implementation to the new one as quickly
as possible (in one week, starting today) and remove the old source ASAP as well (1-2 weeks
after initial deprecation).

I'd like to progress with this aggressively because having multiple implementations with similar
characteristics is confusing to newcomers. The new implementation should be flat-out superior
to the old one anyway (at least it's supposed to).

Please let me know if anybody has concerns with this approach and or would like to stay on
the old implementation (with state sharing).

Cheers
Markus