openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Ying Chun Guo" <guoyi...@cn.ibm.com>
Subject Release policy compliance: Adding license headers and the excluded files
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2018 12:24:36 GMT
Hello, whiskers

In order to get Apache release policy compliance, we need to add license headers to every
source file in the distributions with few exceptions. I'd like to share what I have done and
what I'm going to do with you.

"With few exceptions, all human-readable Apache-developed files that are included within a
distribution must include the header text."
Quoted from http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

I use Apache Rat to audit license headers. I use wskdeploy repo as the trial repo. I reported
an issue (https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-wskdeploy/issues/716) to wskdeploy
including a report generated by Apache Rat. In the report, all the files with unapproved licenses
will be listed. Then I submit a PR (https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-wskdeploy/pull/709)
to add Apache license headers. I'm going to do same to all the other projects in OpenWhisk
community. Matt Rutkowski offers help to this work too.

As to the exceptions, I followed the document in http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions
to decide which files can be excluded. In wskdeploy project, they are:
# files copied from third parties or created by tools
gradlew
gradlew.bat
Godeps
i18n_resources.go

# JSON data file doesn't support annotation
.*json

# Test data

# others
.gitignore
.rat-excludes

Different repo may have a different exception list. The exception list can be tracked by .rat-excludes
in the root folder ( refer to https://github.com/daisy-ycguo/incubator-openwhisk-wskdeploy/blob/add_lice/.rat-excludes
)

If you have comments or suggestions to my work or to the exception list, feel free to discuss
here. I'm open for any inputs. Thank you.

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)