openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Allen <...@akrabat.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started for those in a hurry.
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:59:32 GMT
Hi Alex,

To follow up James's post, I recommend this article by Markus Thömmes to understand how OpenWhisk
works: https://medium.com/openwhisk/uncovering-the-magic-how-serverless-platforms-really-work-3cb127b05f71
<https://medium.com/openwhisk/uncovering-the-magic-how-serverless-platforms-really-work-3cb127b05f71>.

We call each language that OpenWhisk supports a "runtime". Each runtime is a Docker container
that runs an HTTP server that responds to two API endpoints: /init and /run in order to its
work and invoke an action. I wrote up some minimal information on how to create a new runtime
on the Wiki here: https://www.slideshare.net/psuter/openwhisk-deep-dive-the-action-container-model
<https://www.slideshare.net/psuter/openwhisk-deep-dive-the-action-container-model>.
When writing the PHP runtime, I found this presentation by Philippe Suter helpful: https://www.slideshare.net/psuter/openwhisk-deep-dive-the-action-container-model
<https://www.slideshare.net/psuter/openwhisk-deep-dive-the-action-container-model>

As James said, feel free to ask any questions here, or if you want more real-time interaction,
the Slack channel is good (http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org/slack.html <http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org/slack.html>).

Regards,

Rob...

--