openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Rutkowski" <mrutk...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Testing IaaS/ Distributed Deployment
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2017 14:26:17 GMT
I agree with Carlos,

"devtools" has indeed become the playground for experimental deployments
and deployment tooling (from which Kube and soon Mesos have and will move
out of into their own top-level repos.).

Anything that unencumbers and or decouples the main OW repo from specific
platform tooling is a good thing IMO.  This approach should especially be
true if these involve tools or platforms that are not actively supported
by the community as is the case here.

-Matt

On 2017-11-20 14:16, Carlos Santana <c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Simon thanks for the contributions>
>
> I proposed we move both distributed types OpenStack and AWS to the repo>

> openwhisk-devtools [1], this is a "playground" repo for experiments
that>
> are not fully supported or out of date. I agree we can put there and add
a>
> the big disclaimer/warning>
>
> We did a similar thing with kubernetes support, it started in the
devtools>
> repo and once stable and integration tests using Travis we moved into
it's>
> own repo.>
>
> And of course will put a note in the ansible readme about the two
options>
> located in the devtools repo.>
>
> Anyone oppose?>
>

> [1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-devtools>
>

> -- Carlos>
>

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:53 PM Shillaker, Simon <>
> s.shillaker17@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:>
>
> > Hi all,>
> >>

> > I recently submitted a PR for provisioning AWS resources in a
distributed>
> > Openwhisk deployment (>
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/2915).>
> >>

> > The question of testing such scripts was raised as it sounds like the>

> > OpenStack versions haven't been kept up to date.>
> >>

> > I've not unit-/integration-tested Ansible scripts before and am not
really>
> > sure how to go about it. Assuming these AWS scripts won't be used in
anger>
> > very often, does anyone have any ideas for ensuring they don't rot? I
guess>
> > the alternative to testing is a big "YMMV" note warning any future
users>
> > that they might be stale. Although better than nothing, this isn't
ideal.>

> > Cheers,>
> >>
> > Simon>

Kind regards,
Matt Rutkowski

STSM, Master Inventor, IBM Open Cloud Technologies and Standards
Apache OpenWhisk Incubator Project Lead, Initial Committer
Chair, Lead Editor OASIS TOSCA Simple Profile WG,
Co-Chair OASIS TOSCA Interop. SC,
Founder of DMTF Cloud Audit (CADF) Standard
mrutkows@us.ibm.com,  mobile: 512-431-5002