openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject architecture of persistence for control plane
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2017 21:17:34 GMT

This was a topic of discussion on last week's technical interchange call
that we decided should be moved to the dev list for further discussion.

OpenWhisk uses multiple persistent data stores as part of its control
plane. In addition to the main database for activations/actions/etc, we
also rely on:
	(1) zookeeper (required for kafka)
	(2) Akka cluster with distributed data (used to replicate load
balancer state if controller clustering is enabled).
	(3) Redis (being used by apigateway;  In pending PR#2689, if dynamic
invokerId assignment is enabled then Redis is used to store the mapping
from invoker names to invoker ids).

I think the main unresolved question was if it was possible to
control/reduce the number of persistent services being used in the
OpenWhisk implementation.  Each one adds operational complexity.

A secondary question was whether there were objections to proceeding with
the merge of PR#2689 as-is while we ponder the eventual overall persistence
architecture for the control plane.

--dave