openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Invoker activation queueing proposal
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2017 01:29:25 GMT
What you’re describing is generalized to essentially two queues. The ready queue which dispatches
immediately to an invoker with capacity and an overflow queue. Whether the latter is one per
invoker or global may not matter much as long as it’s drained by the load balancer and not
committed otherwise to the invoker ready queue where it is difficult to reassign to an available
invoker later (ala work stealing). There are pathologies one has to guard against and we should
consider fairness policies as well. There’s good theory in this space that I can imagine
using to model the heuristics.

-r

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 8:39 PM, Tyson Norris <tnorris@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Not sure what you mean by two queues - you mean two queues per invoker? Or total?
>
>> On Oct 4, 2017, at 5:14 PM, Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A two queue (topic) approach can mitigate the lack of random access from a Kafka
topic/queue once a request is committed (in today’s architecture). This could enable work
stealing in particular since the (overflow) queue can be drained upstream (ie load balancer)
and reassigned to free invokers. Balancing cold start that container locality would them be
a heuristic we can apply more judiciously as capacity is available (versus the current approach
which binds too early and prevents rebalancing).

>> -r
>>
>>> On Oct 4, 2017, at 7:45 PM, Tyson Norris <tnorris@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi -
>>> I’ve been discussing a bit with a few about optimizing the queueing that goes
on ahead of invokers so that things behave more simply and predictable.

>>> In short: Instead of scheduling activations to an invoker on receipt, do the
following:
>>> - execute the activation "immediately" if capacity is available
>>> - provide a single overflow topic for activations that cannot execute “immediately"
>>> - schedule from the overflow topic when capacity is available
>>>
>>> (BTW “Immediately” means: still queued via existing invoker topics, but ONLY
gets queued there in the case that the invoker is not fully loaded, and therefore should execute
it “very soon")

>>> Later: it would also be good to provide more container state data from invoker
to controller, to get better scheduling options - e.g. if some invokers can handle running
more containers than other invokers, that info can be used to avoid over/under-loading the
invokers (currently we assume each invoker can handle 16 activations, I think)

>>> I put a wiki page proposal here: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcwiki.apache.org%2Fconfluence%2Fdisplay%2FOPENWHISK%2FInvoker%2BActivation%2BQueueing%2BChange&data=02%7C01%7C%7C3ff41b0527be4e13398c08d50b8614ee%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636427592860490625&sdata=afOAkeXRW6iArXa72IGd6gnhVyrOwXsDxnjfSAQqL18%3D&reserved=0
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Tyson