openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Tyson Norris <tnor...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Invoker activation queueing proposal
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2017 00:39:12 GMT
Not sure what you mean by two queues - you mean two queues per invoker? Or total?

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 5:14 PM, Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A two queue (topic) approach can mitigate the lack of random access from a Kafka topic/queue
once a request is committed (in today’s architecture). This could enable work stealing in
particular since the (overflow) queue can be drained upstream (ie load balancer) and reassigned
to free invokers. Balancing cold start that container locality would them be a heuristic we
can apply more judiciously as capacity is available (versus the current approach which binds
too early and prevents rebalancing).

> -r
>
>> On Oct 4, 2017, at 7:45 PM, Tyson Norris <tnorris@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> Hi -
>> I’ve been discussing a bit with a few about optimizing the queueing that goes on
ahead of invokers so that things behave more simply and predictable.

>> In short: Instead of scheduling activations to an invoker on receipt, do the following:
>> - execute the activation "immediately" if capacity is available
>> - provide a single overflow topic for activations that cannot execute “immediately"
>> - schedule from the overflow topic when capacity is available
>>
>> (BTW “Immediately” means: still queued via existing invoker topics, but ONLY
gets queued there in the case that the invoker is not fully loaded, and therefore should execute
it “very soon")

>> Later: it would also be good to provide more container state data from invoker to
controller, to get better scheduling options - e.g. if some invokers can handle running more
containers than other invokers, that info can be used to avoid over/under-loading the invokers
(currently we assume each invoker can handle 16 activations, I think)