openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Thömmes <markusthoem...@me.com>
Subject Re: Moving out runtime images and tests
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:02:48 GMT
Sounds all sensible to me.

To 1: Sounds like the right thing to do, if versions are common enough? Like major bumps could
probably use different repos but I guess we can just try and find out what works. As a starter,
the list you posted sounds sensible to me!

2. By Integration Tests I meant: Do the repos need to standup a whole OpenWhisk system and
then run integrations tests or can we get away with just unit tests. I think, the best would
be the latter since its the most agile but we might not be quite there yet. Again something
we should just try and will discover on the way I think!

3. Yep, it's probably just build and push the images on each commit just like we do for master.

One more thing (hehe): Do we support independent tags of runtime images vs. the deployed system?
Today we use the same tag that we use to deploy the system to pull the runtime images. There
might be something left to do here like: Do we need a specific version for each runtime (most
flexible) or can we get away with just using latest for each runtime (easiest to maintain).
Versioning might be needed to be able to make breaking changes but still pin versions and
to keep production systems stable that way (otherwise they might pull an incompatible image
while in action). Thinking about it: We need independent versioning per runtime.