openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Thömmes <markusthoem...@me.com>
Subject Moving out runtime images and tests
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:05:51 GMT
Hey all,

again we're hitting the Travis build time limit of 50 minutes and we need to disable more
tests again to bring us in good shape there. This is not really acceptable and it's really
painful for me to turn down testcoverage.

A thought has been lingering for some time now and with the work Rodric did by making runtimes
configurable we should be really there to move out the runtimes from our main repository and
leave only a default one in there if any.

Tasks we'd need to do:
1. Setup a repo per runtime.
2. Move the runtime build + tests there (testwise I would rather copy and own some dependencies
than trying to go DRY. The current setup for dependent repos needs quite some cleanup and
is super hard to maintain for updates in the main repo). We can discuss if we need Integration
Tests for each of the runtimes or if the "unit" tests we have are sufficient here.
3. Implement a release process for the runtime images to Dockerhub.

The runtimes update fairly rarely so I wouldn't really bother with too strict of a versioning
there, at least not for the first shot. Process wise it does seem straightforwardly doable.

What do you think?

Cheers
Markus