openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject activations list and filtering by package name
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2017 17:32:58 GMT
There's an open issue [1] about listing activations and filtering by name
of the action within a package. This is not something that works today. The
reason is that the index computed for activations appends the short name of
the action, eliding the package name if it exists.

The views which compute the indexes for activations and actions now have
some redundancies - dating back to when the documents were mixed in a
single database, and there was support for listing public packages. I took
the opportunity to clean these views up in [2].

While doing that, I'm wondering if I should also address [1]. One way to do
that is change the index to normalize the search key so that the full name
of the action can be used. This will permit actions in packages to be
listed by their activations.

There is an asymmetry however in that actions in the default package do not
name an explicit or implicit package. With web actions, I addressed part of
this asymmetry, but requiring actions to always be fully qualified, and
using the word "default" to refer to an action in the default package. I'd
like to extend this change to filtering activation lists by action name. So
that, filtering for an action "A" in the default package requires the key:
"default/A", and for an action "B" in a package "P" requires the key "P/B".
I've suggested this in a comment here [3].

The "default" prefix could be sugared in the CLI, or even in the API (not
my preference), to preserve existing behavior.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/1635
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/2760
[3]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/2760#issuecomment-333138595

I'm soliciting feedback and suggestions.

-r