openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Tyson Norris <tnor...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Moving out runtime images and tests
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2017 17:25:55 GMT
+1 in general

> Tasks we'd need to do:
> 1. Setup a repo per runtime.

Maybe repo per runtime-type, instead of literally each runtime - specifically names like:
openwhisk-action-nodejs, openwhisk-action-java, openwhisk-action-dockerskeleton, openwhisk-action-php,
openwhisk-action-python, openwhisk-action-swift
(Since each type should share much of the same tests, I think.)

> 2. Move the runtime build + tests there (testwise I would rather copy and own some dependencies
than trying to go DRY. The current setup for dependent repos needs quite some cleanup and
is super hard to maintain for updates in the main repo). We can discuss if we need Integration
Tests for each of the runtimes or if the "unit" tests we have are sufficient here.

We can DRY it *later* if wanted by releasing mvn artifacts of test base classes (or all of
tests) from core, or something like that, but until that is implemented, agree that copying
is better.

By “Integration Tests” do you mean to run as part of core tests? I think something minimal
would be good like “test that at least nodejs runtime works” (e.g. health check), but
not “test every runtime as part of core integration tests"

> 3. Implement a release process for the runtime images to Dockerhub.

This should be the same as the release process for core images right?

Thanks
Tyson

> The runtimes update fairly rarely so I wouldn't really bother with too strict of a versioning
there, at least not for the first shot. Process wise it does seem straightforwardly doable.