openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Thömmes <markusthoem...@me.com>
Subject Re: PR feedback for SPIs
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:08:30 GMT
Hi Tyson,

first of all: Thanks for the great effort put into all of these SPI implementations. Here
are some general comments from myself on SPIs

The ContainerFactory SPI feels natural and makes a lot of sense to support different deployment
models. There is no doubt about that one from my side.

For the LoadBalancer SPIs though, I am quite worried that we're silently rebuilding all of
OpenWhisk's underlying architecture without anybody really noticing it. It feels to me that
OpenWhisk is then becoming a set of plugins and you cannot compare any performance data anymore,
neither do different implementors look at the very same bottlenecks. We talked about the direct
Loadbalancer for instance and I still feel like it is not to be conflated with the use-case
of having concurrent requests to containers and thus higher density on invokers. In fact,
if you feel you need a direct Loadbalancer, would it maybe even make sense to have that one
globally instead of just for that specific type of actions? I'd like to keep synergy effects
high in the projects and I strongly feel that we're missing out on those if we start to break
the system apart and stop being opinionated about the implementations we've chosen.

As for the logstore I kinda feel the same for now, although I haven't looked thoroughly.
It does feel like it should at least partly be unified with the ContainerFactory SPI since
getting to logs always is a concern of the underlying container implementation (i.e.: Which
log drivers are supported etc.).

What do you think?

Cheers
Markus