openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Tyson Norris <tnor...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Replace log markers with metrics sent to statsd
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:44:00 GMT
Thanks Vadmin!

A few comments:

- RE: async logging:  I thought the akka logger was already async? This is different than
the logback async appender. I’m OK with using the async appender, but people should know
that it by default is configured to ignore events once its buffer is full, so its possible
to get into a situation where log messages “go missing” if faced with sufficient traffic.

- RE: kamon: It’s not clear to me that kamon supports timing data for general methods, although
it looks like it keeps timing data for akka message processing.
Currently the log markers in OW keep timing data for arbitrary blocks of code (unrelated to
akka). It looks like to get “time in method” metrics you will still need to measure the
time, and then record that time using kamon.

I know Sandeep is looking into using the timing/tracing aspect as part of this PR https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/2282.

It may be interesting to consider kamon TraceContext for this, but it is also somewhat invasive
- seems like it requires wrapping all Future usage as in:
Tracer.withNewContext("sample-trace") {
    Future {}
}

Is there a way to use this without this wrapping?

BTW - I agree that any “counter” type metrics should be replaced and kamon seems good
for this, I’m just not sure about the timing markers.

- RE: first steps: Does changing log library or appender config imply the need to change the
current marker/timing impl? I think a few logical steps are:
- replace logging impl (with logback)
- reduce log generation
- replace log marker counter impl (with kamon?)
- replace logging approach (with TraceContext or similar, if an option even exists, with the
goal being to NOT pass whisk Logging around everywhere)

(I’m really not sure about the last one, but it would be nice to a less invasive way to
emit logs with context)

Thanks
Tyson

On Sep 27, 2017, at 7:39 AM, Vadim Raskin <raskinvadim@gmail.com<mailto:raskinvadim@gmail.com>>