openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Thömmes <markusthoem...@me.com>
Subject Re: Warm containers
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2017 05:57:31 GMT
Hi Mandeep,

OpenWhisk relies on container reuse (i.e. using warm containers) heavily to reach its performance
goals. Currently, containers are kept around for a maximum of 10 minutes if they are not replaced
by the need of some other container.

You can refer to this article written by me (shameless self-advertisement) to get some insights
into how our container caching works: https://medium.com/openwhisk/squeezing-the-milliseconds-how-to-make-serverless-platforms-blazing-fast-aea0e9951bd0

You can refer to the relevant source code here:
- https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/blob/master/core/invoker/src/main/scala/whisk/core/containerpool/ContainerProxy.scala
- https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/blob/master/core/invoker/src/main/scala/whisk/core/containerpool/ContainerPool.scala

Anything more you can think of for your use-case?

Cheers,
Markus