openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Tyson Norris <tnor...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Improving support for UI driven use cases
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2017 19:17:58 GMT
Sure - what I mean is that once N containers are launched, and servicing N activations, the
N+1th activation is queued and processed sequential to some particular one of the previous
activations. And N is directly related to concurrent users (and actions), so a burst of users
will quickly exhaust the system, which is only fine for event handling cases, and not fine
at all for UI use cases.

So “sequential” is not quite accurate, but once concurrent activations max out the container
pool, it behaves as a queue compared to a system that concurrently processed activations in
a single container - which will have its own point of exhaustion admittedly, but I think it
is quite common, for example to run nodejs applications that happily serve hundreds or thousands
of concurrent users, so we are taking about adding orders of magnitude to the number of concurrent
users that can be handled using the same pool of resources.

Thanks
Tyson