openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improving support for UI driven use cases
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2017 15:56:01 GMT
Summarizing the wiki notes:

1. separate control and data plane so that data plane is routed directly to
the container
2. desire multiple concurrent function activations in the same container

On 1, I think this is inline with an outstanding desire and corresponding
issues to take the data flow out of the system and off the control message
critical path. As you pointed out, this has a lot of benefits - including
one you didn't mention: streaming (web socket style) in/out of the
container. Related issues although not complete in [1][2].

On 2, I think you are starting to see some of the issues as you think
through the limits on the action and its container and what that means for
the user flow and experience. Both in terms of "time limit" and "memory
limit". I think the logging issue can be solved to disentangle activations.
But I also wonder if these are going to be longer running "actions" and
hence, the model is different: short running vs long running container for
which there are different life cycles and hence different scheduling
decisions from different container pools.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/788
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/254