openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Tyson Norris <tnor...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Improving support for UI driven use cases
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2017 15:24:53 GMT
Hi -
I have added a wiki page to propose an approach to better support UI drive use cases:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/UI+Driven+Use+Cases
(Thanks for letting me into the wiki Felix!)

Dragos and I have been discussing and working on this for some time, and there are several
use cases that we are trying to solve for that would benefit, and I expect other users of
OpenWhisk will appreciate this as well, especially if they are considering integrating OpenWhisk
APIs into UI workflows where concurrent user load can be significant.

In general, the proposal is to allow concurrent activation processing within containers, for
the benefit of improved system throughput that is less tied to concurrent user load, so that
OpenWhisk HTTP triggers can be used in for UI use cases, where a user is waiting for response,
and a response that times out will be an error, with no guarantee of later processing required,
which is notably different than event driven use cases.

Given that the commenting on the wiki is problematic (I think people need to request individual
access before commenting is allowed?), I guess email discussion would be the best way to provide
feedback.

Thanks for your feedback!
Tyson