openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Juraci Paixão Kröhling <jpkroehl...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Adding OpenTracing support
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2017 16:51:01 GMT
On 06/20/2017 11:50 AM, Juraci Paixão Kröhling wrote:
> Would it then be OK to build a PoC to add OpenTracing capabilities
> around the Function executions? My goal is not to trace the internals of
> OpenWhisk, but rather provide tracing capabilities to the functions
> deployed into it.

I just went ahead and created a PoC for that. I have to say that
OpenWhisk code base is really nice and intuitive, as well as the
documentation! Nice job on that!

I opened the PR #2403 to start a discussion on whether this integration
makes sense and if this would be the right way to do it. Also, I never
did anything in Scala, so, forgive me if I made some gross mistakes :)

A possible next step is to add propagation data to the invocation meta
data, so that we can do proper distributed tracing for chains of actions.

- Juca.