openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Lavine" <dlav...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: OpenWhisk, Kubernetes, what was learned and where we would like to go next.
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2017 20:36:48 GMT

uh-oh. Looks like my links were removed.

Url for current OpenWhisk on Kubernetes work:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-deploy-kube
Url for proposal:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=70258567

Dan Lavine

From:	"Daniel Lavine" <dlavine@us.ibm.com>
To:	dev@openwhisk.incubator.apache.org
Date:	06/07/2017 03:16 PM
Subject:	OpenWhisk, Kubernetes, what was learned and where we would like
            to go next.

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I last posted and previously it was for the
"Proposal for OpenWhisk + Kubernetes integration". I'm happy to tell you
that we got an initial deployment up and running with a decent amount of
documentation around it. For anyone who is interested in what has been
done, that work can be found here.

>From that work, we have started to identify some of the oddities required
to put OpenWhisk on Kubernetes and are proposing an initial outline on how
we would like to start tackling them. Our solution basically boils down to
OpenWhisk becoming more "Dockerized" in the configuration phase. Meaning
each of the components will have more configuration properties built into
them, or necessary scripts/startup actions that perform setup actions once
done via Ansible. This way we can setup OpenWhisk on Kubernetes, Docker
Compose, or some other hosting environment without the need for an
orchestration layer. We would love for people to take a look at, comment
and make any suggestions for next steps to achieve this by heading over and
taking a look at the wiki where we are proposing our initial outline.

Thanks!
Dan Lavine