openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Rutkowski" <mrutk...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Propose weekly "Technical Exchange" video meeting for OpenWhisk
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2017 15:08:26 GMT
Hi Whiskers!

Having attended all the amazing and inspiring sessions at ApacheCon a few
weeks ago and wanting to enable our growing community with better ways to
foster technical interchange, I would like to propose we work towards
having weekly

Here are my thoughts on such a meeting…

- 1 hour meeting, with agenda to be solicited from community in advance
- pool of volunteer “moderators” to facilitate the call and cover the
agenda topics
- Use video/presentation sharing application with world-wide access such
as Zoom
- Alternate meeting times morning / evening (~12 hour differential )
allowing world-wide (geo.) participation
- Post recordings of meetings and link from website (with agenda) for
offline access (and for new contributor education)
- Cultivate agenda topics on our Confluence Wiki and confirm a few days in
advance

Topics would range from…

- Educational: “how does this component work?”, “how to debug this?”, etc.

- Feature / idea discussion:  **non-binding** discussion of anyone’s ideas
to make any part of the project code “better”, more “pluggable” or
integrateable, etc.
    + of course, we would want to move/capture such discussions to “dev”
list (binding) and share/develop designs on our Confluence Wiki, as well
as move to GitHub epics/issues once consensus is reached
- Serverless Community: Share experiences on Serverless (conferences,
meetups, etc.) and what is going on in the Serverless space to raise
awareness
- Social: Just get to know each other (and perhaps associate voices and
faces with people we are working with)
- Connecting: Greet new people and hear their interest and help them
connect with others.
- Volunteers: identify key code work areas where we need help and seek
volunteers.

Before we event start we would need to…

- Have an initial pool of volunteer moderators (of course I would
volunteer to be one and help jump start the processes)
- Develop a list of agenda topics here on mailing lists and CWIKI that is
large enough to start the first meeting and have enough topics to keep it
going

Please provide feedback on this proposal as I would welcome any support
and ideas that could make this better if we agree this is a good idea.

Cheers!
Matt