openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent S Hou" <s...@us.ibm.com>
Subject OpenWhisk CLI separation from openwhisk repo: status and help
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2017 18:19:36 GMT

Hi openwhiskers,

OpenWhisk CLI is currently on the stage to separate from the main openwhisk
repo for better modularity. We have already established two new
repositories
to respectively host the the Go client code and the Go CLI code:

   OpenWhisk Client Go:
   https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-client-go, originating
   from OpenWhisk Go Whisk(
   https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/tree/master/tools/cli/go-whisk
   )
   OpenWhisk CLI: https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-cli,
   originating from OpenWhisk Go Whisk CLI(
   https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/tree/master/tools/cli/go-whisk-cli
   )

Current status:
All the source code has been copied and adjusted in the new repos. Scala
tests related to CLI have been moved into cli repo. Travis CIs for both
repos are running
the test cases in Scala to make sure the code works. The source code of
each repo has already synchronized with openwhisk repo, and is able to do
further sync-up. However, there is no integration test in openwhisk client
go, and only a few integration tests implemented in Go for openwhisk cli.

Most urgent work items to do next:

   OpenWhisk Client Go: Unit tests for all the Go files, and Integration
   tests against openwhisk service in Go.
   Issues opened:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-client-go/issues/17,
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-client-go/issues/14

   OpenWhisk Cli: Integration tests against openwhisk service in Go. (Unit
   tests remain to be discussed, since this repo is implemented in cobra
   package and calls openwhisk client go.)
   Issues opened:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-cli/issues/17

   OpenWhisk: We need to reimplement the Scala tests by calling the REST
   APIs instead of calling the binaries, which means the basic Wsk class
   needs to be rewritten:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/blob/master/tests/src/test/scala/common/Wsk.scala
, and invoked by all the other tests when accessing the openwhisk services.
The current Wsk.scala is calling the CLI binary, and we need to call the
rest api to order to departure the CLI.
Issues opened:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/2430

We are moving forward in this direction now. Anyone interested in the
contribution to this piece of work? Welcome to reach out to me.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou