openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pluggable components in OpenWhisk
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2017 13:43:26 GMT
> I saw that class and I just wanted to check if a contribution would be
accepted eventually.

We are generally tending toward a model where the components are all
deployment time configurable so that one can tailor the architecture to use
or experiment with different technology. The datastore has an abstract
interface, the message bus producer and consumer also has an abstract
interface, we recently refactor the interface to the container pool
management, and there's ongoing discussion about logging and tracing in the
same way. These abstractions were intended to allow for experimentation and
with the right model for plugins, I think we can address the increasing
interest we are observing in making the architecture adaptable in several
ways.

On the message bus, Kafka makes sense because it offers low latency
messaging and offers persistence of the activation requests. That said, I
expect this is will be an area of continued interest as it has implication
for the load balancing and scheduling.

-r