openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From apa...@cbickel.de
Subject Re: Save activations in a new activations DB
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2017 11:30:44 GMT
Hi OpenWhisk developers,

there are again some news on separating the activations into a new database.
The next Pull request (https://github.com/openwhisk/openwhisk/pull/2134) will be merged soon.
After
this Pull request is merged, the flag (db_split_actions_and_activations) to enable or disable
the
separation of the activations is required to deploy OpenWhisk.
It has to be set in your environemnts group_vars/all file.
Additionally, this PR will change the default of the 3 environments (local, mac, distributed)
use the additional activations database for all activations.
If you want to have new activations still in your whisks database, just set this flag to "false"
in
your environment. But keep in mind, that the ability to use the whisks database for activations
will go away soon.

If you want to keep all activations and want to keep them accessible for the users of your
deployment, you have to migrate the activations into the new activations database. The steps
to do
this are described in: https://gist.github.com/cbickel/37e651965781b27de245eac0ce831a53
If it is okay for your environment to loose all data stored in the database, the databases
will be
regenerated with the right structure with the "wipe.yml" playbook.

My next PR will remove the ability to use the whisks database for activations.

Greetings
Christian

April 16, 2017 1:17 AM, "Rodric Rabbah" <rodric@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen a proposal and initial prototype from Jeremias which tees logs to an external
drain. The
> idea is to make this plugable in the way you might be thinking but I'll let him share
the details
> and thoughts and you can evaluate and we can iterate.
>
> I don't think we want to give up the concurrent draining of logs to Couch where they
are available
> nearly instantaneously as part of the core system. This is superior to other systems
including
> Lambda for example (a common complaint is that logs take a long time to be available).
I view this
> as essential to a fast debug cycle while developing.
>
> That said, it is clear that we need to drain logs to a system that will allow more general
> indexing, searching, measuring, and analyzing logs - and in past two weeks this has come
up
> repeatedly in our public slack channel. This in my view should be done as a plugable
external layer
> rather than part of the core API. This isn't to say the core API can't provide some more
views that
> can be generally useful.
>
> -r
>
>> On Apr 14, 2017, at 7:55 PM, Michael Marth <mmarth@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> Sorry to chime in late - I was out.
>> Recently, I had also been thinking about splitting more static configure data (like
the action)
>> from highly transactional data like the activations. My reason was, however, to have
an easier way
>> forward to multi-datacenter deployments.
>>
>> Regardless of the motivation for the split into activation-db and "static-db" I would
like to make
>> this comment:
>> Now, that we split out the activation-db into its own separate API we should take
the opportunity
>> to design this API (interface) that truly allows pluggable implementations. I am
particularly
>> interested in an Elastic Search impl for the activation-db (as I believe that ES
lends itself well
>> to activations-workloads). There might be other interesting impls. Point being: let's
iterate a bit
>> over the interface to make sure it can be implemented in non-CouchDB deployments.
I am convinced