openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Save activations in a new activations DB
Date Sat, 15 Apr 2017 23:16:54 GMT
I've seen a proposal and initial prototype from Jeremias which tees logs to an external drain.
The idea is to make this plugable in the way you might be thinking but I'll let him share
the details and thoughts and you can evaluate and we can iterate.

I don't think we want to give up the concurrent draining of logs to Couch where they are available
nearly instantaneously as part of the core system. This is superior to other systems including
Lambda for example (a common complaint is that logs take a long time to be available). I view
this as essential to a fast debug cycle while developing.

That said, it is clear that we need to drain logs to a system that will allow more general
indexing, searching, measuring, and analyzing logs - and in past two weeks this has come up
repeatedly in our public slack channel. This in my view should be done as a plugable external
layer rather than part of the core API. This isn't to say the core API can't provide some
more views that can be generally useful.

-r

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 7:55 PM, Michael Marth <mmarth@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> Sorry to chime in late - I was out.
> Recently, I had also been thinking about splitting more static configure data (like the
action) from highly transactional data like the activations. My reason was, however, to have
an easier  way forward to multi-datacenter deployments.

> Regardless of the motivation for the split into activation-db and "static-db" I would
like to make this comment:
> Now, that we split out the activation-db into its own separate API we should take the
opportunity to design this API (interface) that truly allows pluggable implementations. I
am particularly interested in an Elastic Search impl for the activation-db (as I believe that
ES lends itself well to activations-workloads). There might be other interesting impls. Point
being: let's iterate a bit over the interface to make sure it can be implemented in non-CouchDB
deployments. I am convinced this will be helpful in the future in order to evolve OW.
> In the light of the above it would be useful to design the activation-db interface with
a mindset that does not assume that activation-db and static-db are the same physical storage
or even the same storage technology. Mentioning this to avoid assumptions about ID-semantics,
joins, etc.

> Wdyt?
> Michael
>
> Sent from a mobile device
> _____________________________

is merged now.
> If you use one of the three environments in open, the default will still be, that activations
are saved in the whisks-db. But now you can set that flag to true.
> The next Pull request is opened now: https://github.com/openwhisk/openwhisk/pull/2134
> It sets the default of the three environments to use the activations-db. It also requires
this variable in your environment. It still can be set to true or false.

> If you have some OpenWhisk deployments, I'd suggest to set the variable to false, do
your migration and set it to true afterwards.
> The migration is described here: https://gist.github.com/cbickel/37e651965781b27de245eac0ce831a53
>
> My next, and last, PR will be to remove the ability to use that flag.
>
> If you have any problems with your migration or concerns just reach out to me.
>
> Greetings Christian
>

> April 10, 2017 2:56 PM, apache@cbickel.de<mailto:apache@cbickel.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi OpenWhisk developers,
>>
>> some weeks ago, I started working on some database performance and one item affects
the
>> whisks-database.
>> All actions, rules, triggers, packages and activations are stored in this database.
Because of all