openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Lavine" <dlav...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for OpenWhisk + Kubernetes integration
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 23:50:24 GMT

Hey Dan,

We are working on a fork of the OpenWhisk project and are extending the
Ansible orchestration so that it can issue Kubernetes commands. We have
created a Dockerfile which pulls in the OpenWhisk code and installs all of
the required dependencies to run the Ansible play books. With this image we
should then be able to create a Kube job that sets up OpenWhisk from within
a Kubernets environment. This gives us the ability to leverage things like
Kube-DNS when Ansible goes and performs any kind of restful configuration
(i.e. seeding consul) and a fairly consistent way of working with a
Kubernetes cluster.

Currently, we are using the built Docker image as a pod and deploying that
pod into Kubernets. From there we exec into that pod and are running the
Ansible playbooks by hand. Then extending any of the command to use Kube
commands whenever we need to.

Ideally if this approach goes well and the solution make sense, then we
would like to contribute this back into the main OpenWhisk branch.

Lastly, we are doing a bit more work on ironing out our proposal and the
goals we would like to hit so that they are a clear and measurable piece of
work. Once that is clear, then we will post it to the wiki you created.

Dan Lavine