openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Travis CI takes hours to process a PR on Apache Org
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 03:25:19 GMT
So I got two repos moved to the apache organization on Github, tutorial CLI
and push notification package.

Push notification is configured with Travis Integration. The problem I
found after the moved is that a new PR took from 6 to 20 hours to run the
build on travis and check green on Github.

Currently the repos under the OpenWhisk organization builds start
immediately for PRs

The root cause is that Apache has 185 repos enable with Travis [1]
But only an allocation of 30 concurrent builds [2]

Today in OpenWhisk, the core repo is the one that is actively using Travis,
so the free 5 concurrent builds are enough.

I worked with INFRA team, by the way very helpful folks on their chat [3]
and faster answers to my questions.

We found out that Travis has beta feature that cancels any previous builds
for a PR, and only builds the last commit for a PR.
Daniel Takamori from INFRA enabled this for our push repo [4]

I proposed we move forward as the following:

- Move the rest of the repos to Apache org except openwhisk/openwhisk (Core)

- Implement Jenkins CI [5] using builds.apache.org community server [6] for
main openwhisk core repo to process PRs on Github ot implement the same
build configuration (i.e. single VM) that we use on Travis

- Once PRs are process with Jenkins, then request the move for openwhisk
core repo.

- Look into how to get VMs donated to be dedicate to OpenWhisk builds, as
you can see in the slave nodes [7] Hadoop have 14 nodes, and cassandra has
7. This will allow for builds with distributed VMs (3 VMs setup), and also
dedicated VM to process the Github PRs

- Discuss with INFRA team if they are willing to enable the Travis dedupe
flag across all apache repos currently enable iN Travis, to allow better
use of the 30 cuncurrent builds

Isabel, Felix, Sergio
  I need your help getting admin access to the Jenkins server, my apache id
is csantanapr

According to their page [6]:
*Those of you in the Incubator, there are many PMC Chairs belonging to the
Incubator PMC, including but not limited to the Incubator PMC Chair. So if
a mentor can't do it, ask around. If no answer within a reasonable time
frame, then by all means open an INFRA ticket, mentioning your earlier
attempts to get a PMC Chair to do it.*

[1] https://travis-ci.org/apache
[2] https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/apache_gains_additional_travis_ci
[3] http://infra.chat