openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Rutkowski" <mrutk...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: OpenWhisk.org content and updates
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2017 15:26:30 GMT
Hi Carlos, Daniel,

My interp. of "3rd part service providers" were what we have been calling
"Event providers", that is, those services that have/create event data and
wish to integrate with OW feeds and actions to accomplish some task or
extend their functionality (perhaps as part of an application or service
offering).

In fact, many people I have spoken with who ahve designed or developed
other serverless frameworks thinks the most interesting area for interop.
is that of the Event Provider and Trigger (and everything below that is
considered proprietary implementation detail).  This is the audience we
want to work with using the Packaging Spec. (and corresponding wskdeploy
tool) and hopefully work on a vision of having a "whisk hub" of package
which integrate with OW which includes Event Provider (and event data)
definitions.

Kind regards,
Matt

From:   Carlos Santana <csantana23@gmail.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   02/01/2017 04:23 PM
Subject:        Re: OpenWhisk.org content and updates

Daniel

This is great compose information and LGTM.

The only minor item is the term "third party service integrator" as is not
very clear what actually means.
> 3. The third party service integrator building packages that provide
triggers and feeds that they want to share with others.

To me is just any OpenWhisk user that wants to create a package that wants
to share it with another OpenWhisk. This user can be from the personal 1.
or it can be a small business sharing a package with some actions as sdk
connect to their API services.

Maybe use a term like "Package authors/publishers/creators" (not sure
which
one is better) people that already know well how to use OW as an user, but
getting more advance in terms of creating a package that it can share for
others and needs docs and guidance on how to best create the package and
integrate into OW for other users.
Basically someone looking for a section to read title "Creating and
Sharing
Packages", maybe is the "third party service" what's not very clear maybe
drop it and call it just "Integrators", maybe that covers any type of
integration with OpenWhisk via packages, feeds, webhooks, docker runtimes,
etc..

--Carlos

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Daniel Krook <krook@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> [...]
> also be additional personas to consider as we go forward.
>
> So with many different user types - and materials that may be of
interest
> across personas - it makes sense to have one single site (rather than
split
> into different sites by audience type, i.e., distinct developer and user
> sites on different domains).
>
> *Immediate todos*
> The current site centers around making it easy for each of those
personas
> to get started with OpenWhisk and includes general interest information
on
> serverless technology and the Apache project. It also links to the
social
> media channels and mailing lists as a one-stop-shop for those new to
> OpenWhisk to find the specific resource they need for their role.
>
> We have solid guidelines and many existing sites to reference as we
improve
> the site to address the two primary goals. There is guidance from the
> Incubator [1], and precedents like Apache Cordova [2], Apache CouchDB
[3],
> and Apache Groovy [4] among others.  Jason Lengstorf pulled together a
good
> list of suggestions to improve the site in an issue on GitHub [5] based
on
> what works for other open source projects. There is also an issue open
> address the current "partners" page and transform it into a "supporters"
> page, based on the earlier threads here [6].
>
> You can see the complete list of open issues on GitHub [7] which is
where
> we directly link and track changes completed or proposed for the site.
>
> *Managing updates*
> As Apache Groovy does [8], we'd like to have
> http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org redirect to http://openwhisk.org.
> The
> name servers for for openwhisk.org are mapped to the GitHub repository
[9]
> which serves content out of the master branch using GitHub Pages.
>
> Currently, content is automatically published to http://openwhisk.org
when
> pull requests are merged into master by an approved Committer. Those
pull
> requests are tied to issues. When pull requests are merged, the issue(s)
> are automatically closed if the PR comment includes the phrase "closes
> issue #XXX". We can have both issues and PRs post to email and Slack.
> Because of this simple deployment process, it doesn't seem that we'd
want
> to change the current process or require any sort of new build
> infrastructure be put in place.
>
> *Summary*
> As mentioned above, the end goal is a site that adheres to the Incubator
> Graduation requirements and accelerates ecosystem formation around
Apache