openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Rutkowski" <mrutk...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: How do we fix the website link from our project page?
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2017 13:59:21 GMT
How do we get http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org/ even working as a
recognized domain with backing static content site?

Kind regards,
Matt

From:   Carlos Santana <csantana23@gmail.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   01/26/2017 07:45 PM
Subject:        Re: How do we fix the website link from our project page?

I would prefer to have the flow of just pushing the jekyll files to Github
repo, and Github to take care of building and publishing.

Just an idea:
As temporary measure maybe we can put auto redirect index.html in
http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org/ to openwhisk.org
If web are not able to update apache.org DNS to redirect.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM Matt Rutkowski <mrutkows@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> I found this from a link from Isabel's link:
>
> gitpubsub, which allows the static contents of a designated git
repository
> to be served as the website for a project. git based websites are
> typically maintained in a asf-site branch to be published as
> https://project.apache.org. They can be hosted from your primary project
> repo. Typically these will be built as a jenkins job or a buildbot job.
It
> is recommended that you only have a single writer to the asf-site branch
> to avoid potential conflicts.
>
> but found this listed only as a publishing "method" but no link to how
you
> actually find/use this tool. Also, Jekyll already works without adding
any
> other tooling or Jenkins (highly desirable for maint. purposes and
finding
> someone to code/get this working)
>
> Kind regards,
> Matt
>

> From:   Matt Rutkowski/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
> To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
> Date:   01/26/2017 01:28 PM
> Subject:        Re: How do we fix the website link from our project
page?

> Please note that OW and the .org website existed in some form prior to
> Incubation (as with many sites/processes, etc. surrounding the project)
> and we are trying to get everything working as Apache expects, at the
> earliest in our incubation.   A primary reason for moving cautiously is
> that lose any of the hard-earned followers/users by shutting off domains
> without a smooth transition plan.
>
> Also, note we have donated multiple domain names associated with
openwhisk

> to Apache, if we do not (or cannot use them) then they can be allowed to
> expire.
>
> Then the question morphs into... how do we setup a server to host the
> generated (Jekyll) website from our code repositories; currently, this
> done by GitHub directly (using GitHUb pages feature; as described in
> https://pages.github.com/) ?
>
> <or> is it acceptable for us to simply use the
> http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org/ domain (instead of openwhisk.org)
> within GitHub (pages feature) as the publishing destination (i.e.,
GitHub