openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Dragos Dascalita Haut <ddas...@adobe.com>
Subject Passing security credentials to actions
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 17:02:09 GMT
I'd like to create an action that communicates with another API. The action needs a client_id,
a secret and/or a keyfile, and/or a private key pair. This is a typical scenario to authenticate
a service call; there's an example at [1] describing what needs to be done for such a scenario.

Assumptions :

1. we can't store credentials with the code in Git

2. if the action becomes part of a sequence we might not want the other actions in that sequence
to have access to these credentials. we might want to restrict the credentials to be visible
only to the action that needs them.

There are 2 questions here:

1. How can developers associate such metadata (in the lack of a better term) to the action.

2. How can the action retrieve this metadata.

I'm wondering if there are any thoughts on this already documented or if it's a problem we're
yet to solve.

Thanks,
dragos
[1] - https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/OAuth2ServiceAccount