openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Dragos Dascalita Haut <ddas...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Passing a context object to actions
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:33:48 GMT
"...For now, the recommended practice is to NOT pass large binary objects by value, but instead
to pass a reference..."

+1 to this.

"...One idea for the future is to consider having a source-independent input stream library
for use in whisk actions..."

It would be great to have this in mind for any further work ( API Gateway included) making
sure the code doesn't restrict this.

Are we aware of any use-case requiring that Openwhisk Controller, Invoker or another component
(apart from the actions themselves) to "understand"/decode the payload ?

Thanks,
dragos
________________________________
From: Stephen Fink <fink.stephen@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:03:11 PM
To: dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Subject: Re: Passing a context object to actions

Regarding binary objects:

For now, the recommended practice is to NOT pass large binary objects by value, but instead
to pass a reference, such as an object identifier to an object store.   The action code can
then read or stream the data using an appropriate library.

I don’t see a great reason to imagine passing large objects by value.   Feel free to argue
otherwise if you disagree.

One idea for the future is to consider having a source-independent input stream library for
use in whisk actions, which is configured by the whisk runtime to delegate to the appropriate
mechanisms for streaming arbitrary binary data.   This could be done entirely at user-level
as a prototype, I think, without any changes to the core runtime.