openwebbeans-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Sobol - Lobos Studios" <st...@LobosStudios.com>
Subject OWB, Servlets and Jetty 9
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 17:04:47 GMT
Hey all,

New to CDI - I'm working on switching my JEE webapps from JSF managed
beans to CDI.

I use Jetty, exclusively, and JSF works fine with Jetty and OWB, but
@Inject in servlets (and presumably elsewhere) does not.

I started out with JBoss Weld, which ships with Jetty 9, but trying to
get Weld working in my IDE was a nightmare and I gave up. (IntelliJ IDEA
Ultimate 2016.2 if anyone cares, but this morning I upgraded to 2016.3)

So as an alternative to getting the bundled CDI functionality to work, I
tried OpenWebBeans instead and now I'm good to go, except that I can't
use DI in the servlets I'm creating.

I have a workaround (query BeanManager through JNDI), so this is not a
life-or-death urgent issue (not even close!) - but it would be nice if I
could get it working. A mailing list search turned up

http://markmail.org/search/?q=servlet+injection+jetty+list%3Aorg.apache.openwebbeans.user+order%3Adate-backward#query:servlet%20injection%20jetty%20list%3Aorg.apache.openwebbeans.user%20order%3Adate-backward+page:2+mid:gzti4hxxl76lqyhf+state:results

That thread states that Jetty 8 is buggy and that the OWB team even gave
up on working with Jetty and switched to Tomcat* - but the thread is
from 2012, and Jetty 8 was EOL'd a while ago.

So my questions are:

** What is the current state of @Inject using OWB and Jetty?
** If it's not working, what would be required to *get* it working?

Weld can do DI into Servlets and Filters in Jetty 7, 8 or 9, and into
Servlet listeners in 9.1.1 or newer. (according to
https://docs.jboss.org/weld/reference/latest/en-US/html/environments.html#_jetty)

But I'd much rather use OWB.

Thanks,
    Steve

* OWB and Tomcat are both ASF projects. Weird that y'all didn't use
Tomcat from the start.

--
Lobos Studios | Phone: 877.919.4WEB | LobosStudios.com |
Facebook.com/LobosStudios | @LobosStudios

Steve Sobol - CEO, Senior Developer and Server Jockey
steve@LobosStudios.com