openwebbeans-user mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Where to find up to date documentaiton on OWB?
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:28:30 GMT
Hi Dennis!

Yes, our docs suck :)
I already started with setting up the CMS, but that takes a bit ...

The plugins of OWB result from the modular nature of OWB. The core (webbeans-impl) does NOT
contain any EE dependencies. JSF features (conversation support for JSF, etc) get added by
webbeans-jsf. All the required plugins are provided in WebSphere 8++. I'm not yet aware though
if IBM repackages it to a a single jar, etc.

Most of the parameters in openwebbeans.properties actually enable the various SPI implementations
which are contained in the owb-plugins. E.g. if you have the webbeans-web plugin in the classpath
another Lifecycle implementation will be used. But again, I bet WebSphere has their own integration
and Lifecycle implementation.

Regarding the CODI bug in WebSphere you might either try the MyFaces list or contact IBM.

> Also how to configure OWB to run in a plain J2SE application vs inside WebSphere
> for example

Well, in general you should not really care about OWB if you run in WebSphere 8++. For older
versions you can just package the various OWB stuff you need into the webapps WEB-INF/lib
fonder as you would do for plain tomcat. Of course this would lack of CDI-EJB integration
but apart from that most other stuff works perfectly fine. For an example you can see my ee
sample project [1]. Some parts need version upgrades though...

> Window/CODI Conversation concepts of CODI
> and will be included in JSF 2.2 (aka webflow)

I think the JSF-2.2 flow is more like spring webflow. I have not looked at it in detail but
I'm glad Ed dropped all the XML stuff again ;)
This will need some iterations until it is usable imo.

DeltaSpike will also contain the CODI scopes, this will take a bit though. So I'd recommend
starting with CODI as we will provide an upgrade path to DeltaSpike.

LieGrue,
strub

[1] https://github.com/struberg/lightweightEE