openwebbeans-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Wilson" <mike...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: session creation
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:03:07 GMT
Hi Gurkan,

Thanks for quick and helpful responses. It sounds great that you will look
into not forcing sessions - thanks! Hopefully it will not become too
complicated to set up the session context on demand once it is needed. I
pinged the JSR Expert Group about this as well, and it will be interesting
to see what/if they respond.

Regarding conversation context being tied to JSF; I had a quick look at the
spec and the conversation mechanism described there doesn't seem to
hard-wire against JSF. If I understand it correctly it goes roughly like
this:

1.

	if the current incoming request isn't specifying a conversation id,
a new temporary conversation context is created
2.

	this temporary conversation context "dies" with the request if not
promoted to "long-running" (and thus in practive just acts like a parallel
request context)
3.

	if Conversation.begin() is called the conversation is promoted to
long-running, and it is registered with an id on the session (this would
also be a place to forcibly create the session)
4.

	the conversation id is transferred to the browser by f ex
redirecting to a url that contains it as a parameter so the browser will ask
for the same conversation on subsequent requests

Points (2) and (3) have no dependency to any specific web framework, and
point (1) and (4) has specification text that says they will be taken care
of automatically if using JSF, but should be possible to handle
programatically if using another web framework.

Ideally, this would mean that all bundled contexts could actually live in
"openwebbeans-core" (talking in modularization terms again) and only the
automagic stuff in point (1) and (4) would be implemented in
"openwebbeans-jsf" (and the same goes for other web framework-specific
modules).

Best regards
Mike

  _____