openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Patricia Ring <>
Subject Microsoft Is Blocking Access to My Open Office File
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2014 19:30:46 GMT

I had a free trial offer from Microsoft nearly a  year ago.  I never created one document
on it.  My then, very old Windows XP couldn’t support it.

I just finally managed to convert my WPS file to a doc file, using Apache Open Office.

Now, when I attempt to open the file – a message from Microsoft disallows it --  something
like, “You are trying to use Microsoft Office,
but you don’t have it.”    A lease offer for Office is included with their statement.

It has taken me such a long time to access my file.  It was absolutely never on Microsoft
  I have the file and a backup copy of the file and they both now have Microsoft orange blocks
next to the file names.

Does Microsoft own the file extention doc ?
Can anything be done?
I tried to reach a person to help me --  they’re all about signing me up for a Word Processing
Lease to solve my problem.