openoffice-users mailing list archives

From James Knott <james.kn...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: Microsoft Is Blocking Access to My Open Office File
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 14:51:49 GMT
On 06/20/2014 03:30 PM, Patricia Ring wrote:

> I had a free trial offer from Microsoft nearly a  year ago.  I never created one document
on it.  My then, very old Windows XP couldn’t support it.

> I just finally managed to convert my WPS file to a doc file, using Apache Open Office.
>
> Now, when I attempt to open the file – a message from Microsoft disallows it --  something
like, “You are trying to use Microsoft Office,
> but you don’t have it.”    A lease offer for Office is included with their statement.
>
> It has taken me such a long time to access my file.  It was absolutely never on Microsoft
Word.
>   I have the file and a backup copy of the file and they both now have Microsoft orange
blocks next to the file names.

> Does Microsoft own the file extention doc ?
> Can anything be done?
> I tried to reach a person to help me --  they’re all about signing me up for a Word
Processing Lease to solve my problem.

That sounds like a file association issue.  You can right click on the
file icon and chose which program to open it with.  You can also select
which to use as the default application, so that you can just double
click on the file.

Also, you may want to check your computer clock.  You apparently sent
your message on June 20, even though you actually sent it today.  You
can right click on your task bar clock, select adjust and then go to the
Internet time tab to enable NTP.