openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Tim Deaton <...@timdeaton.org>
Subject Re: open pdf documents and save them as spreadsheets or word documents
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2014 05:04:23 GMT
Much depends on the type of pdf file.

If the pdf file is an image (what you normally get when you scan a
document into the computer), then a program with OCR capabilities is
needed to try to recognize the text in the image and either add that
text to the pdf document or save that text into a document that text
editors, word processors, or spreadsheets can use.  (I use Nuance Power
PDF on Windows - a commercial product - for that, and know of other
commercial alternatives.  Other people here may know of open source
alternatives.)

If the pdf file is NOT just a scanned document, then it probably
actually contains the text (not just a photo) in the file.  In that
case, you can highlight the text you want to copy and do a
copy-and-paste into Writer.  As Rory wrote, spreadsheet use may need
much more care.  Special-purpose programs like Acrobat, Nuance, Foxit,
etc. can make such tasks easier -- but they still need careful
proof-reading.

-- Tim
===========================

On 7/3/2014 3:05 AM, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
> John
>
> The solution is much simpler, at least on a Mac.  Simply mark, copy, and paste to wherever
you want the text to be.  However, you loose formatting.  As to spreadsheets, copy the table
to a temporary file, replace whatever separates the cell contents with a comma or semicolon,
and read the temporary file as a .CSV file.

> On 2. Jul 2014, at 22:21 , Baccara <bbaccara@tstonramp.com> wrote:
>
>> Rory O'Farrell wrote:

>>> No. You need to use an OCR (Optical Character recognition) application to do
that. For spreadsheets and other work involving figures most careful proof-reading of the
OCR output is required.

>> OCR - does that equate to Adobe creates an image (jpg or ?) from any document "printed
to / saved as" a pdf document?
>> PDF document can be opened with a pdf reader (free from Adobe and other sources),
content highlighted, copied then pasted to another program such as OO Writer; MS Word then
saved in the new format?