openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Tom Backer Johnsen <bac...@psych.uib.no>
Subject Re: open pdf documents and save them as spreadsheets or word documents
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2014 14:23:10 GMT
Tim

I have to admit that my experience is evidently limited, I only have experience with the text
type of pdf file.  I was not aware of the “image” type of pdf file.  Thank you for that
information!

Tom
On 6. Jul 2014, at 07:04 , Tim Deaton <tim@timdeaton.org> wrote:

> Much depends on the type of pdf file.
>
> If the pdf file is an image (what you normally get when you scan a document into the
computer), then a program with OCR capabilities is needed to try to recognize the text in
the image and either add that text to the pdf document or save that text into a document that
text editors, word processors, or spreadsheets can use.  (I use Nuance Power PDF on Windows
- a commercial product - for that, and know of other commercial alternatives.  Other people
here may know of open source alternatives.)

> If the pdf file is NOT just a scanned document, then it probably actually contains the
text (not just a photo) in the file.  In that case, you can highlight the text you want to
copy and do a copy-and-paste into Writer.  As Rory wrote, spreadsheet use may need much more
care.  Special-purpose programs like Acrobat, Nuance, Foxit, etc. can make such tasks easier
-- but they still need careful proof-reading.

> -- Tim
> ===========================
>

> On 7/3/2014 3:05 AM, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
>> John
>>
>> The solution is much simpler, at least on a Mac.  Simply mark, copy, and paste to
wherever you want the text to be.  However, you loose formatting.  As to spreadsheets, copy
the table to a temporary file, replace whatever separates the cell contents with a comma or
semicolon, and read the temporary file as a .CSV file.

do that. For spreadsheets and other work involving figures most careful proof-reading of the
OCR output is required.

>>> OCR - does that equate to Adobe creates an image (jpg or ?) from any document
"printed to / saved as" a pdf document?
>>> PDF document can be opened with a pdf reader (free from Adobe and other sources),
content highlighted, copied then pasted to another program such as OO Writer; MS Word then
saved in the new format?

Tom Backer Johnsen
Søndre Steinkjellersmauet 7
5003 Bergen