openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Strange behaviour with OpenOffice 4
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 21:16:08 GMT
At 17:51 19/06/2014 +0200, Francesco Ziviani wrote:
>I am encountering a strange behavior with OpenOffice 4 and the
>attached xls file. If I open it with OpenOffice 4 it does not show
>the cell values but if I open it with OpenOffice 3 or MS Excel it
>does show the values correctly.

It appears to open correctly in my OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows XP^H^H
mumble-mumble. When you say it does not show the cell values, what do
you mean - that every cell appears empty? Or that something else appears?

>If I open the file with Excel and save another copy without making
>any change, that copy is correctly opened with values with OO 4. The
>xls file is created by a program that extracts values from an ERP systems.

Doesn't that at least identify the problem? If what Excel saves can
be opened but not the original file, then your other program creating
the file is offering something that can be opened by Microsoft Excel
but which is not exactly in the correct format for .xls. It's perhaps
not surprising that OpenOffice might not handle this incorrect file
correctly. Alternatively, the fact that the copy you attached opens
satisfactorily for me without ceremony may suggest that re-saving in
Excel is unnecessary and that merely creating the copy is somehow the
key. Can you open the copy of the file that will have been returned
to you from the list with your copy of your own message?

>Any idea about how to solve the problem?

Since I cannot see anything wrong on my system, unfortunately not.
You could complain to the suppliers of the other program.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker