openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <>
Subject Re: Read only
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 15:04:33 GMT
At 16:02 24/06/2014 +0200, A. Lecocq wrote:
>To Brian Baker,

I don't know of anyone here by that name. Will I do instead?

>When I send the attached sheet-feuille- my contact can open the
>document and the message - Read only - En lecture seule - is coming
>on the screen. So he cannot modify any element. When my contact send
>me a similar document I have the same message. What is wrong?

There are possibly two issues here. The second sheet of your
spreadsheet document - "matrice" - is protected, so you and your
correspondent will not be able to make some changes. To remove this
protection, remove the tick from Tools | Protect Document > |
Sheet... . In general, you would have to enter the protection
password at this point, but no password has been set.

>What is the solution to avoid the message and to be able to modify
>some element?

If you are finding that you cannot modify *any part* of the
spreadsheet, you have a different problem - and probably nothing to
do with the spreadsheet document or OpenOffice. Instead, it may be
that you do not understand how your mail client works.

When you receive a file attached to an e-mail message, your mail
client may save this in a temporary location. The idea is that you
will then copy or move it to a suitable place in your document filing
system before you use it. If you attempt to edit it in the temporary
location, there are two problems: such temporary locations may get
automatically flushed, so that you might lose your work; and anyway
you may not know where to find your modified document. Some mail
clients helpfully arrange that files held in the temporary location
are read-only, so as to avoid your making that mistake. The solution
is simply to save the file in your normal folders - "Documents" or
wherever - before you attempt to work on it. Your correspondent may
have the same difficulty.

>I had a look on the "help" but I don't find a solution.

There will be no help for the latter suggestion, as it has nothing to
do with OpenOffice.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

To unsubscribe, e-mail: