openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2014 06:01:23 GMT
At 16:05 12/06/2014 -0700, John Hart wrote:
>When a question is asked, no matter how lame it appears, a snide
>response is the worst thing one can do.

Again, that's entirely true - but you are guilty of applying the
principle inappropriately. (And the question was not lame, nor - I
suggest - did it appear so.)

Mr Groenescheij's "You can't fill a 10 liter bucket with 11 liter
water" is surely a variation on "you can't get a quart into a pint
pot", which Oxford Dictionaries defines as "British proverb: You
cannot achieve the impossible" - and makes no suggestion of
impropriety. And "what you try to do is driving a screw in the wall
with a hammer" is surely a pithy but acceptable way to say "You would
be better off with a different - and the correct - tool"? Advising a
questioner to use an alternative technique is constructive and
helpful - and not at all malicious.

But yes: you are quite right about not being snide.

Brian Barker