openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Help with Page Numbers
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 04:49:03 GMT
At 18:01 01/06/2014 -0400, Jim Browning wrote:
>I would greatly appreciate your assistance with a problem. I have
>used Open Office for years, and am very pleased with it, but have
>hit a snag. Specifically, I am trying to delete the page numbers I
>presently have in the footers of a multi-page manuscript, and
>replace them with new consecutive numbers, so as to consecutively
>add to the numbered pages of another manuscript.  The numbers I now
>have are 1 to 20. I want to insert the new numbers, 21 to 30, so as
>to provide continuity of page numbers. I have read the tutorial,
>which talks about "clicking into the first paragraph" of the first
>page, and I have tried clicking at the start of the first paragraph,
>the middle of the first paragraph, etc., with out any page numbers
>appearing. I have also preceded this (following the tutorial) with
>Format-Paragraph-Text Flow-Insert-Page Style.) Can you assist?

I'm not sure which tutorial you are reading, but yes: you need to
modify the paragraph format of the first paragraph in your document.
To do this:
o Either put the cursor into your first paragraph and go to Format |
Paragraph... | Text Flow,
o Or right-click in the first paragraph and to follow Paragraph... |
Text Flow from the context menu.

You get to the same dialogue either way. Then:
o Under Breaks, click Insert. (Type should read "Page" and Position "Before".)
o Tick "With Page Style".
o Select the appropriate page style (whatever you are already using)
from the drop-down list.
o (Here's the important bit:) Set "Page number" to whatever you need
- 21 in your case.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker