openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Margins & Other Issues
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:44:54 GMT
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:13:25 -0700
Attilio Ciochetto & Michelle Simmons <indynorth@att.net> wrote:

> I am trying to create a document that has one inch margins all around but the first page
has a three inch top margin for the letterhead paper.  I have gone through the Help in the
program and searched the forums until my head is pounding.  Neither is helpful at all in
my opinion.  In Microsoft Word I can go to the menu, set the margins and push a button to
make it apply from the point of where the cursor is.  Your program is not that easy.  Please
tell me how I can make a document that has a three inch top margin for the letterhead paper
used on the first page with one inch margins all around for the rest of the pages.

Your first page must be a different page style; on this you set 3 inch margin to the top.
Your remaining pages are to be a page style with 1 inch margins all around.

> I was taught that the standard margins are one inch all around for documents yet your
program has a default of .79" margins all around.  I don't understand why you have that if
the standard is one inch.  How can I change the default to be one inch all around each time
I create a new document?

The USA is a very small part of the world; the 0.79 inch margins are the equivalent of 2cm
margins often used elsewhere.  Personally I define my own margins, as I was taught that the
bottom margin ought be larger than the side and top margins - there are actually very complex
rules for calculating page margins - see any good text on page design.

> Why do I have to create a whole new document just to print an envelope with an address?
I just want to put the address in and have it print.  Instead, I put the address in then
I have to create a whole new document BEFORE I can print the envelope.  In Microsoft Word
it prints the envelope without first creating a whole new document.  Can OpenOffice work
on this feature?

> At times I have highlighted text to edit and inadvertently left the text highlighted
when I print the document so all that is printed is the highlighted text.  I have never had
this problem before using your program.  Can I turn this off?

In your print dialog, General tab (I think) uncheck Selection, and check All

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>