openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: OpenOffice4.0.1
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 19:05:54 GMT
On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:40:28 -0400
"Cecil Price" <cepricejr@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I am having what I consider to be a serious problem with OpenOffice.  After
> downloading OpenOffice 4.0.1 Most of my Microsoft Word files were
> transferred into OpenOffice format without my instructions to do so.  I
> consider this an outrageous intrusion into my files.  My first response to
> this intrusion was to completely delete Open Office and any associated
> software from my system, but I fear that in doing so I will lose important
> documents.  I only have Open Office on my system because some associates use
> it and it is simpler to use it to open files from them.  I believe it
> reasonable to assume that I am not the only user having this problem, so I
> assume you are aware of it and have a solution.  I would have searched your
> bugs and problems section, however I feel that I may only be inviting
> further intrusion into my system by registering.  Please contact me by
> replying to this email with a solution to my problem.  I WANT MY WORD FILES
> BACK!
>

> C.E. Price Jr.

Your files have not been touched in any way. What has happened is that the File Associations
on your computer, which determine what program opens a particular type of file, have been
set so that .doc files open in WordPad. You need to reset the File Associations to point to
MS Office or MS Word; details are given in this posting

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12918

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>