openoffice-users mailing list archives

From johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>
Subject Re: ANN] Apache OpenOffice 4.­1.0 released
Date Fri, 02 May 2014 12:55:40 GMT
On 1 May 2014 12:23:16 UTC, lacor@akeonet.com <lacor@akeonet.com> wrote:

> Ever since I installed 4.0.1 I get a message (Opening an exel / word file, that an "update"
or something similar is required - tiring ! A "Microsoft gag ?

most probably, that message comes from a trial version of microsoft office that has been once
installed on your computer and whose trial period has run out. you still may open .doc and
.xls files through the 'file -> open' dialogue or you may change the file associations
in your system: right-click on a .doc file, choose 'open with', select openoffice from the
list that appears, tick the option 'always use this program for this filetype' (or something
similar) and click ok; then repeat for .xls and other types of files. (i assume you use windows
because the problem looks microsoft specific.)