openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Permission to use Firefox Browser
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2014 02:01:52 GMT
On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM, Dave Barton <db@tasit.net> wrote:
> [...]

That  is certainly how it feels to users, that they don't need
permission to use OpenOffice.  But a more correct way to say it is
that the Apache License gives the permission to everyone, and that no
*additional* permission is needed.  Any time you copy a creative work
(beyond "fair use") you need permission.  But with open source
software the permission, instead of being negotiated or sold, is given
at no cost to all and described in an open source license.  But it is
still permission.

The complication comes from companies performing audits of their
internal business controls, and trying to ascertain whether they are
legitimately using the software they are using.  They might only be
familiar with commercial licensing terms.  In those case I like to
point them to the license, since that is the statement of their
permissions.

Regards,

-Rob