openoffice-users mailing list archives

From James Knott <james.kn...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: Open Office Problem
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2014 02:41:41 GMT
Susan Wiebusch wrote:
> I wish that I hadn’t downloaded this program to begin with.  It has produced nothing
but problems.  Example, when I type a date in word or Excel, it stubbornly defaults to numbers
 i.e.2/5/14.  I may have a situation where I want the words.  Another example is in Excel.
 In Word, I can go to the top and make the appropriate click so that I get an automatic ,.
 It is maddening.

> The person helping me on the phone when I bought this program (not knowing that I wasn’t
just buying word)  led me through steps to have the default program to be Open Office.  I
assume that there are steps have the default program be Word and Excel again.

You didn't have to pay for it.  OpenOffice is a free download from
www.openoffice.org.  You must have got it from somewhere else.  I don't
use Calc very often, so I can't help you with that part.

> Background - The reason that I bought it was that I had a crash and had to download my
stuff from Carbonite.  For awhile, Word was absent so I went on line to order it.  That is
when I bought Open Office when all I wanted was word again.  I didn’t realize that it was
going to produce problems until the above problems kept occurring.

> So, quite simply, how do I change the default back to the old Word program?  If it can
be done one way there should be an easy way to undo it.  BTW, the Command click you mentioned
didn’t work.

I assume you're running Windows.  If so, you should be able to right
click on a file and choose the desired application.  There is a check
box to make that the default app.

> Susan
>
> P.S.  How about a phone number so I can quickly resolve this.  A real person on the phone
helped me download this program and this is when the default to Open Office was done.
> On Mar 3, 2014, at 12:42 PM, Susan Wiebusch <swiebusch@me.com> wrote:

This is just a mail list of users.  There is no phone number, just this
list.