openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Adding comments on footnotes
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:08:06 GMT
At 15:41 19/02/2014 +0000, Gordon Snow wrote:
>I am using Open Office 4.0.1 to edit a document loaded as a
>Microsoft Word (.doc file) .
>
>Adding marginal comments using Ctrl/Alt/C in the main text is
>straightforward. Adding comments on a footnote is not. The RH slide
>bar to move through text simply jumps repeatedly across the existing
>screen text.
>
>As a temporary measure, I have added an explanatory comment attached
>to the footnote number in the main text, referring to the difficulty
>and listing the changes I wanted made to the footnote itself. Is
>there a neater way of doing this? Or have I uncovered a genuine bug
>in the program?

I think you've discovered a bug in Microsoft Word!  It seems that it
is not possible to attach a comment to footnote text in Word, so
there is presumably no way to save such a  comment in a .doc
file.  Whatever you managed to do in OpenOffice, the comment would
not reappear when you reopened the .doc file.

Moral: always use the application's native format - here
.odt.  Distribute finished documents as .pdf.  If your correspondents
insist on .doc files, they and you are limited by what can be saved
in this format.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker